- Police Resources
- Firearms Applications & Instructions
Firearms Applications & Instructions
Firearms Registration and Application System (FARS)
- Log on to NJ Portal (FARS)
- The Long Branch Police Department's ORI# is NJ0132500, Service Code - 2F164B
- Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two reputable references. Your references can be family members.
- You must appear at Long Branch Police Department Records Bureau to pay for your initial Firearms Identification Card (FID Card) and/or Pistol Purchases Permits. Your application will not be processed until you have paid for the FID Card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJSC 13:54.1.4.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the process.
- Once your application is complete, a department representative will contact you to retrieve your FID card and/or Pistol Purchase Permit documents
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. Please, advise them to complete the questions immediately.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well the best email addresses for you and your references.
For questions, please contact our Records Department at 732-222-1000, ext. 1800, or email your firearms questions.
Retired Law Enforcement Officer Program (RPO)
For complete instructions (initial/renewal) and application paperwork visit the NJ State Police website.
Permit to Carry (PTC)
Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application
- You must apply in person
Out of State Resident - apply at a non-toll road State Police Barracks closest to your residence.
In State Resident - apply to your local police department (State Police patrolled areas apply to local Barracks.)
Please call the long branch police records department prior to applying 732-571-5670, do not just show up
Please Provide the Following at Time of Application
- Driver's License and Birth Certificate OR Driver's License and Passport OR Driver's License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
- One State of New Jersey Applications For a Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be double-sided and notarized.
- Two color passport-size photographs.
- Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066.
- Submit proof of qualification with a certified firearms instructor along with firearms instructor's proof of certification.
- Two money orders totaling the amount of $200. One money order in the amount of $150 payable to the City of Long Branch, another money order in the amount of $50 payable to the State of New Jersey Treasurer. Money orders must accompany this application when submitted to the records department or your application will be delayed.
- All applicants (initial and renewal) for permit to carry a handgun must be fingerprinted. Instructions for fingerprinting will be provided at the time of application.
- A new jersey permit to carry is valid for two years from time of approval.
- If any of the preceding is not complete or incorrect the application will be returned and you will have to re-apply.