Employment as a lifeguard for the City of Long Branch
Thank you for your interest in working for the City of Long Branch as an Ocean Lifeguard or Pool Lifeguard. Please review the information below to assist you in understanding the job requirements and the hiring process.
Long Branch Ocean Rescue lifeguards are required to complete physical training on a daily basis, which includes swimming, running, paddling and/or rowing with a high level of intensity. Lifeguards will be expected to perform all of the following physical activities: open water swimming in all conditions; running and sprinting on the beach; kayaking; paddling; rowing; climbing and jumping off of lifeguard stands; lifting and moving victims; performing CPR for an extended period of time. Pool lifeguards are required to complete many of the same tasks.
Requirements for all applicants:
Applicants for both Ocean Lifeguard and Pool Lifeguard position must be available to work a minimum 32-hour per week schedule, including weekends and holidays
Hiring preference will be given to applicants who are former Long Branch Junior Lifeguards, as well as to those applicants who have previous lifeguard experience, applicants who are able to work until Labor Day, and applicants who can maintain a 40-hour per week schedule
All applicants under 18 years old must provide working papers signed by their parent and school prior to starting work
Requirements for Ocean Lifeguard applicants:
Applicants for Ocean Lifeguard position must be 16 years old prior to June 26, 2023.
Ocean Lifeguard applicants must be available during the dates of one of the two 6-day sessions of the LBOR rookie academy (1st session to be held May 27, June 3-4, June 10-11, and June 17 - 2nd session to be held June 22-27).
Ocean Lifeguard applicants are preferred to have current AHA, ARC, or ASHI BLS or equivalent CPR certification
Requirements for Pool Lifeguard applicants:
Applicants for Pool Lifeguard position must be 15 years old prior to June 26, 2023.
1. Fill out and return the following:
- City of Long Branch employment application,
- Long Branch Ocean Rescue supplemental questionnaire
- Include copies of the following:
a. Driver’s license (if you have one)
b. CPR card
c. Any other applicable certifications you have (NJ Boating Safety Certificate, NJ EMT card, Scuba certification)
Please note the following requirement: For applicants who are current high school students, at least one of the references listed on your application must be a teacher or coach. APPLICATIONS MUST BE RETURNED PRIOR TO MARCH 15, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Schedule and attend an in-person interview (with the Beach Manager and Captain)
3. Ocean Lifeguard applicants only - successfully complete the swim test (pool) – 500m in under 10 minutes – to be held at the Neptune Aquatic Center on the following dates:
April 15, 2023 between 5:00 - 6:00 pm
April 22, 2023 between 5:00-6:00 pm
May 5, 2023 from 5:00-6:00 pm
May 6, 2022 from 5:00-6:00pm
4. Ocean Lifeguard applicants only – successfully complete the run test – 2 miles in under 18 minutes – to be held the week of May 15, 2023 on the Long Branch boardwalk
5. All Ocean Lifeguard and Pool Lifeguard candidates who are hired must attend a preseason meeting to be held during the week of May 22, 2023
6. All Ocean Lifeguard and Pool Lifeguard candidates who are hired must undergo a drug test at the Dept. of Recreation prior to starting work
7. Ocean Lifeguard candidates will be required to successfully complete either of the 6-day sessions of the LBOR rookie academy:
- 1st session (weekends) to be held May 27, June 3-4, June 10-11, and June 17
- 2nd session (weekdays and weekend) to be held June 22-27
8. Ocean Lifeguard candidates will also be required to complete EMR (medical) training following the rookie academy
Other information about working in Long Branch
All training is provided at no cost, and ocean lifeguards will be paid for training during the rookie academy and the EMR class
Training is ongoing and all ocean lifeguards are required to train on a daily basis. We are fortunate to have plenty of equipment to train with, including boats, paddleboards, and surf skis. Ocean lifeguards interested in competing will be provided an opportunity to try out for the tournament team in late June.
Ocean lifeguard shifts are 8 hours, from 8:45am to 5pm or 10:45am to 7pm. All first year ocean lifeguards are subject to permanent assignment to the 10:45am-7pm shift
Pool lifeguard shifts are 6 to 8 hours and hours vary between 8am and 8pm
Starting pay for pool lifeguards is 14/hr
Starting pay for ocean lifeguards is 15/hr
Additional pay available for previous ocean lifeguard experience
Additional pay available for EMT certification
Link to application: https://www.longbranch.org/media/Personnel/employmentapplication.pdf